maanantai 8. joulukuuta 2014

Top-10 albums of 2014 (part.1)

It's that time of the year again.. time to list my PERSONAL top-10 albums of the year. These are all albums that have had an impact on me as a music listener, a fan and as a musician. Once again I will release the list in two parts. I will exclude re-releases, re-masters, live sets, compilations etc..and focus only on new material released within this year. So, without further ado...Lets begin!


#10 Talons - New Topographics 



Talons was a new find for me this year. They're an UK-based instrumental post-rock/post-metal outfit who've been around since 2008. New Topographics is their third full-lenght album. It uses a lot of experimentation with chilling strings and noisy guitars. All the songs stand out from the mass of post-rock material released these days with their brilliant compositions. A lot of the timbre's bring Godspeed You! Black Emperor to my mind with a little bit more of pop-like parts thrown in the mix, yet keeping the songs diverse and emotional. 


Favourite track(s): Monuments, The Wild Places






#9 Pianos Become The Teeth - Keep You



Yet another band I found just this year, Pianos Become The Teeth is one of the bands from "the wave" of screamo/post-hardcore bands of the 2000's and 2010's along with bands like Touché Amoré and La Dispute. I came across their earlier material and noticed that their new album "Keep You" was being released this fall. I got myself familiar with PBTT's older material just in time for the new album to drop out and I got to say, at first I didn't enjoy it a lot. But Keep You kept growing on me during the following weeks. I guess that's what this kind of music a lot of times does with me. Keep You is filled with emotional lyricism and features a lot more softer side of the band than their earlier material. Sticking only with clean vocals was a bold but awesome move from PBTT

If you are a fan of emo and/or post-hardcore, then give this album a listen and let it grow on you. 

Favourite track(s): Lesions, Repine, Late Lives, Enamor Me







#8 DJ Kridlokk - Mutsi 




Ah..The first rap album of the list. The Finnish Dj Kridlokk is a rap artist/producer who's part of the KC/MD Mafia and is infamous for his Finnish Memphis sound. Mutsi is Kridlokk's follow-up to his album UG-Solo which was released in 2011. The album has a really grim sound and lyrics that are both critical and badass. Kridlokk rhymes about real life and how he's fed up with the world. But to me, the album is more about the sound, feel and atmosphere than taking the lyrics seriously. The two feature's of the album are by Kridlokk's colleagues Tuuttimörkö and Eevil Stöö and they both perform their verses just right. 

Favourite track(s): Lokin Ipsum, IDKFA, Stö & Lok 







#7 La Dispute - Rooms Of The House





I had great expectations for the new La Dispute album after their masterpiece Wildlife from 2011 which in my books is a solid 10/10 album. Rooms Of The House continues fluently with just about the same style as Wildlife. Sounds are just as raw and the lyrical themes are just as depressing as they were last time. Once again I had to listen to "Rooms" a little more than a few times to fully understand it's grace and all the emotions it emits. 

Once again the band utilises bits and sounds outside their live band with the inclusion of for example the glockenspiel. But I love how all their songs are played just as they are live - raw and hard-hitting. The guitar sounds are full of vibes which just give me the chills every time they hit a chord. Vocalist Jordan Dreyer's vocal performance is  heartbreaking and the emotions he is capable of producing with his voice are amazing. 


Favourite track(s): Hudsonville MI, 1956; 35; Scenes from highways 1981/2009







#6 Swans - To Be Kind





When this monster of an album hit everybody in the face in the alternative music scene I was really ignorant and left it without a listen (except for the song Oxygen which was released as a single before the album) until well into the fall. Upon revisiting To Be Kind I was really surprised when I found out how elaborate and powerful it was. I guess I just wasn't ready to listen to it when it released. I just had to have a right state of mind to sit through this 2 hour greatness. To Be Kind feels like such a flowing album that the time just flies by and it feels amazing.

I am in no position to compare To Be Kind to Swans' earlier material as I have almost no experience of their albums before it (apart from a couple of listens of The Seer). I guess I'm fairly new to experimental music in a scale of this big. In To Be Kind I fell in love with the atmospheric building structures and the contrast of delicate timbres of clean guitars painting the soundscape to the crushing aggressive pounding of the bass and drums accompanied by Mr. Gira's menacing vocals.

Swans uses their instruments extremely diversely and create sounds out of this world. Every song on the double LP is a journey through the bands collective mind which seems to write every bit out amazingly naturally. Even though a lot the time the songs are very static the little nuances of for example sudden guitar harmonies or vocals that surprise the listener keep the journey interesting throughout the album. Not a single song feels too repetitive or too long (even though there are a lot of songs that surpass the lengths of typical rock songs). 

I can see To Be Kind being the "Skinny Fists" of the 2010's in the future being an experimental masterpiece and I can already see it getting a same kind of recognition throughout fans of alternative music listeners. 

Favourite track(s): Just A Little Boy (For Chester Burnett), Bring The Sun/Toussaint L'Ouverture, 





This concludes the first 5 of my top-10 albums of 2014. I will finish the list during these few days (within a week at most). 

Leave a comment if you agree with me on the list or have your own favourites.


Peace and LOVE
- Matti

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti